Royal Marine Hotel
History of the Royal Marine Hotel
Sir Robert Lorimer designed the original mansion house in 1913 as a private home for a northern industrialist. The property was built a few years before Lorimer’s return to Brora, immediately after the First World War, when he was commissioned by The Duke of Sutherland to restore Dunrobin Castle, which had been ravaged by fire in 1915.
The ambiance of the Royal Marine Hotel owes everything to Sir Robert Lorimer: The wooden arches in the entrance hall; the formal dining room, the panelled snooker room and the grand staircase all contribute to an atmosphere of quiet elegance.
Bedrooms 1 to 8,12,14, 22 & 23 are parts of the original House.
Later addition in 1997 are bedrooms 9 to 11 & 15 to 21.
History of Brora
A small industrial village in Sutherland, with a busy history. Brora at one time had a coal pit, boat building, fishing, salt mining, fish curing, lemonade factory, Clynelish Single Malt distillery, wool mill, bricks and a stone quarry. Stone from the quarry was used in the construction of London Bridge, Liverpool Cathedral and Dunrobin Castle. The coalmine was the farthest north coalmine in the UK.
A Government Radio Receiving Station was in operation between 1940 and 1986 and it was the first town in the north of Scotland to have electricity, thanks to its wool industry. This distinction gave rise to the local nickname of "Electric City" at the time. Local football club Brora Rangers was founded in 1879 and moved to present stadium, Dudgeon Park, in 1922.